What Do You Need to Make a Comedy Show Successful?
The answer is simple!
Whether it’s a night club show, corporate event, or even a house party, the rules are generally the same. Follow our guidelines and your event is sure to be a hit!
- Introduce the comedian properly, so the audience knows there is a show. Ask the comedian for a short intro ahead of time (usually 2 -3 sentences with some credits and a little about them).
- Turn off all TV’s, and close pool tables, dart boards, etc. You want your audience focused on the comedians.
- Make sure everyone is seated for the show and can see the stage or stage area. People standing for 60-120 minutes doesn’t work well with comedy!
- If this is a private party, discuss with the comedian ahead of time the language content expectations.
- If this is a night club show, charge a cover. When people see “free comedy show” they assume it’s amateurs.
- If this is a night club show, advertise! Facebook, Twitter, your customer email lists, Groupon, newspaper, radio, etc. Let people know it’s coming. Everyone loves to laugh, they just need to know a show is coming to town.
- Start the show on time- don’t keep your audience waiting!
- If this is a corporate show, have the comedian on after dinner. It’s too hard to eat and laugh. You want the crowd focused on the comedian not on their plates.
- Do a microphone check before the show.
- Tell the audience at the beginning heckling is not permitted. While most comedians can tear up a heckler quickly, you don’t want one ruining the show. You paid for a comedian, not a drunk yelling out stuff!